Dedicated to Preserving America's Oldest Soda

Wednesday, August 1, 2007

About Save Vernors

It occurred to me this morning that I should probably discuss the reasons behind the Save Vernors Blog. The short version is that it is actually an Online Marketing experiment - yes experiment.

The long version starts with my joining the MarketingProfs Marketing Book Club back in January. The first book for the new club was titled Citizen Marketers, by Ben McConnell and Jackie Huba. The book intrigued me with story after story about how average ordinary people used social media to affect massive change in big business.

One such story was the blog dedicated to Barq's Root Beer. The man behind the Barq moved away from his home town and could no longer find his favorite soda. After critizing and complaining, he finally got the attention of the soda's makers who took notice at the opportunity to increase their market. With my background in Internet Marketing, I had a profound idea.

This story struck me as I have developed quite an unnatural love for Vernors Ginger Soda, only to find that either I can't find it or it is outrageously expensive. Thus, Save Vernors was born. The formula has been sold more times to more companies that just haven't seen the market potential that I've found that horribly disappointing. My goal is to spread the word about this great soda with the hope that it will be readily available to anyone every where. I'm hoping for the day when I can buy a 12 pack for the same price as a 12 pack of Coke.

We're not seeing the same success as the BarqsMan, but I'm confident that its just a matter of time...

Happy Drinking!

No comments: